We’re glad you want to volunteer.
Shanti Bhavan’s top-notch volunteers help break the cycle of poverty by contributing to our children’s world-class education.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Applications for Administrative Manager (6-12 month commitment) are now open. Learn more here!
Volunteering at Shanti Bhavan is an experience unlike any other. Your work as a volunteer at our school will be a challenging, moving, diverse, and life-changing experience.
Our volunteers teach classes, mentor students, and lead extra-curricular activities such as art, dance, sports, and debate. They help plan events, assist with projects relevant to their skills, and introduce our children to new ideas and cultures.
Volunteers supplement the full-time teaching staff for pre-school to twelfth grade. Shanti Bhavan is a boarding school with a tight schedule that runs from 6:30 am to 9:30 pm. Volunteers are expected to teach four to six classes a day and lead extra-curricular activities, such as arts, dance, sports, and debate.The school is accredited by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination (CISCE) in New Delhi. The core subjects are English Language and Literature, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Indian Languages (Hindi and Tamil specifically), and World Events.
Volunteer positions at Shanti Bhavan are highly competitive and given out based on merit, with additional preference given to early applicants. All volunteers are expected to commit to a minimum four-week stay. Because volunteers make a significant time commitment to the school and our children, Shanti Bhavan provides all volunteers with on-campus accommodations and meals.
Come make a lasting difference in the lives of our children!
Before you apply, here are some things that are important to think about:
- Personal stress management is important when working in the field. Consider how you handle yourself in stressful situations and if this could impact how you work with children.
- The children of Shanti Bhavan have experienced extreme trauma and difficulties. Whether it is domestic or sexual violence, loss of immediate family or friends, or being a victim of racism and discrimination, these children have all survived some form of crisis. Please consider how the reality of these traumas may affect you, and impact the way you interact with the children.
- Due to a variety of unpredictable factors, you will likely feel uncomfortable at some point in time – whether it’s due to food, conditions, time, or cultural differences.
- The volunteer’s workload is demanding and requires very long hours.
- Volunteers are role models for our children. No smoking, alcoholic beverages, or illegal substances are permitted on Shanti Bhavan property ever, without exception.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Applications for the summer semester (June – August) are closed.
Ready to join the Shanti Bhavan family? Start your application here.
The Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, origin, age, sex, religion, handicap, gender, or sexual preference. All information will be held confidential unless specified otherwise.