We’re glad you want to volunteer.
Shanti Bhavan’s top-notch volunteers help break the cycle of poverty by contributing to our children’s world-class education.
Volunteering at Shanti Bhavan is an experience unlike any other. Your work as a volunteer at our school will be a challenging, culturally enriching, and life-changing experience.
Our volunteers teach classes, tutor students, and lead extra-curricular activities such as art, dance, sports, spelling bee and public speaking. They help plan events, assist with projects relevant to their skills, and introduce our children to new ideas and cultures.
Shanti Bhavan is a boarding school with a tight schedule that runs from 6:30 am to 9:30 pm. Volunteers are expected to teach four to six classes a day, supplementing the full-time teaching staff for pre-school to twelfth grade. The school is accredited by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination (CISCE) in New Delhi. At the primary level, volunteers are usually responsible for teaching Social studies, Science, Computers, General knowledge and English. At the middle school level, they are often asked to teach History, Civics and Geography. At the high school level, they may be responsible for Economics, English literature and English language. The classes available for volunteers to teach are subject to change, as they can vary depending on the active roster of full-time teachers.
Shanti Bhavan provides all volunteers with free on-campus accommodations and meals.
We accept volunteer applications in three cycles each year. Depending on when you want to volunteer, you should complete an application in the following windows of time:
- Summer term (June – August):Tentatively accepting applications January, 2022
- Fall term (September – December): TBD
- Spring term (January – April): TBD
Come make a lasting difference in the lives of our children!
Do you have a background in videography or photography and an interest in coming to campus? Shanti Bhavan is looking for an experienced individual to serve as a media volunteer, helping to gather content for our website and social media platforms. Unlike the teaching volunteer position, the minimum length of stay for a media volunteer is two weeks. Please send a resume, a cover letter, and a sample of previous work to [email protected] if interested in volunteering. Please also specify the term you’re interested in volunteering for: Summer, Fall, or Spring.
Before you apply, here are some things that are important to think about:
- Flexibility is essential when working in the field. Consider how you handle yourself in new, different, or stressful situations and if this could impact how you work with children.
- The children of Shanti Bhavan have experienced extreme trauma and difficulties. Whether it is a lack of access to nutritious food, loss of immediate family or friends, or being a victim of racism and discrimination, the children have all survived some form of crisis. Please consider how the reality of these traumas may affect you, and impact the way you interact with the children. We encourage our volunteers to practice self-care throughout their time on campus.
- Due to a variety of unpredictable factors, you will likely need to step out of your comfort zone at some point during your time on campus – whether it’s due to food, living conditions, time constraints, or cultural differences.
- The volunteer’s workload is demanding and requires very long hours. Prospective volunteers should expect a full-time workload with little opportunity to engage in side projects.
- Volunteers are role models for our children. No smoking, alcoholic beverages, or illegal substances are permitted on Shanti Bhavan property ever, without exception.
Ready to join the Shanti Bhavan family? Start your application here.
The Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, status as an individual with a disability, gender, or sexual orientation. All information will be held confidential unless specified otherwise.